Safety Procedures for Patients and Staff
Dear valued patient and member of our community,
Schoonover Eye Care is closely monitoring the spread of COVID-19 throughout Pennsylvania and Lackawanna County. We have been following guidance from the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) and local health authorities to ensure we have the right plans and resources in place to safeguard your health and well-being for your arrival to our clinic and optical showroom.
Here are some steps WE are taking and steps we are asking YOU to take to ensure that we are being proactive with safety.
What we ask of you:
- We asked if you are not feeling well, please stay home. We know how committed everyone is to taking care of their vision, however, priority is making sure everyone is healthy.
- You will be asked to arrive at the office wearing a mask.
- You will have your temperature and will be asked the questions from our our health and safety questionnaire.
- Limit the number of patients in the waiting room. Only one person will be in the office per appointment (minors can be accompanied by an adult).
- If you have a cell phone, call us when you arrive to the office for your appointment. We will call or text you when everything has been cleaned and it is ready for you to come in. Our number is 570-489-8733.
- We are offering free shipping on all contact lens orders. We have new simple way for you to order contacts with a few quick steps. We are offering curbside pickup of eyeglasses and contact lenses to limit your exposure.
- All patients must read and follow COVID-19 Patient Instructions prior to their appointment.
What we are doing:
- Our daily cleaning procedures are already thorough at Schoonover Eye Care, however, we are taking extra time to clean and disinfect, especially high-touch areas, so that our facility remains a safe and welcome place for patients and staff.
- We are following the American Optometric Association COVID-19 guidance for Optometric Practices. We are performing a health screening on each patient prior to entering the office. We are cleaning the office with the best available disinfectant. We are implementing thorough hand washing. We are recommending social distancing wherever possible. We are requiring all staff and all patient to wear Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) such as masks to cover our nose and mouth.
- We are cleaning with a product that is 99.9% effective against new pathogens such as Coronavirus. This product is virtually odorless and not caustic to the skin or eyes.
- We are using air purifiers and increasing ventilation in our office.
- We are providing staff with PPE such as mask and gloves.
- We are providing mask to patients at no charge.
- We are placing hand sanitizer stations throughout our office.
- We are reminding staff and patients to clean and wash hand before and after their exam.
- We are limiting the number of patients inside the office.
- We are asking that only one person comes in the office for their appointment (no guests), unless it is a minor, they can be accompanied by one adult.
- We love welcoming new patients, and have designated an area in the office to sit safely at check-in.
- We are doing expressed check-in which means we review all of your data over the phone before you come in for your appointment. This should be done a few days before or when you arrive to the appointment from your cell phone in your car.
- We have rearranged office furniture to maximize social distancing.
- We have added extra safety features in the examination room as well as in the optical showroom.
- During the examination when you are face-to-face with the doctor, we installed clear guards on the equipment between the doctor and the patient.
- Barriers have been placed at the dispensing tables between staff and patients.
- You will still be allowed to try eyeglasses on. Rest assured that they will be cleaned between patients.
- We will be measuring your temperature and asking you questions from our health safety questionnaire.
- We ask that you arrive for you appointment that you call us at 570-489-8733 from your car. We will let you know when it is your turn to enter the office. A staff member will meet you at the glass entry way.
- We will keep our social media updated so that you will have the most up to date information. Please visit and like our Facebook page to get important updates.
The operations of our office will be different, but we will work together to find “the new normal”.